Thursday, September 12, 2013

Rain, rain, rain....

2

Oh my word, I have not seen this kind of rain ever before...

Some parts of Colorado have seen over 10" of rain in the past 48 hours.  Folks, that is over HALF of our Annual Total Yearly moisture total (rain + snow).  Estes Park, Boulder, Lyons, and Aurora are all reporting extremely damaging and deadly flash flooding.


About 12:30 last night my phone suddenly starting going off like crazy due to a Severe Flash Flood Warning that was listed as "life threatening".... yikes!  So glad I live on a ridge.

What the weather map looked like last night....
Yep, that's me in the middle!

All the canyon roads leading up into the mountains from where I live are closed due to wash outs, mud slides, and high water levels.  When I drove over the Poudre River this morning it was higher than I've ever seen it before, even at the peak of the spring run-off.  We've only gotten 3-4 inches up here in Fort Collins, but still, that's a LOT to see in less than 48 hours. Plus the burn scar from the High Park fire last year means that there is excess water runoff coming out of the mountains than would be normally.

Needless to say, it doesn't look like I'll be getting any riding in anytime soon.  We are even rescheduling Cash's farrier appointment that was to be for today to sometime next week.

Oh, and, for what it's worth... if you ever own a motorcycle, be sure to always have a rain slicker on hand. That is all.

2 comments:

Wow. Crazy. Stay safe! (And I want to hear the motorcycle story, woman).

It isn't that glamorous of a story! I rode the bike to work on Monday, it was a glorious beautiful day, but by the time I had to leave the storm system had rolled in and I ended up riding home in a downpour with only a light sweatshirt on... I was SOAKED by the time I got home and quite cold. Lesson learned!

Post a Comment