So with wanting to start re-introducing the bit and my goal of getting Cash out on some trail rides I got the notion in my head that I'd like to have a set of Mecate reins. Another horse at my barn has them and I love the idea and functionality of them. But, I don't like nylon... at all. Not a fan of the horse hair ones either, too scratchy. I love cotton. Problem is they don't sell Mecate reins in cotton. I'm sure there must be a reason, but nonetheless I wanted cotton. So I decided to get thrifty.
I Googled "Cotton rope by the foot" and the first hit was a lovely website called KnotandRope.com. Perfect. I ordered 22' and sat patiently (not!) around all week for it to show up.
|Partway through unraveling the ends.|
Once that was accomplished I had to attach it to the rope. A bit of Googling taught me how to do a crown knot and back splice. I tied off the splice with some cotton string from my craft stash and trimmed all the ends.
|The crown knot|
|The finished back splice|
Total Cost: $20 (including s&h for the rope)
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours