Tuesday, April 9, 2013

One Month

1

Hard to believe, as of today it's been one month since my husband passed away.  I miss him terribly.  Probably always will miss him.  I still can't believe he's gone, it's so bizarre--having someone who is apart of every moment of your life--and they are just gone, no longer there.  But, I'm moving on, slowly but surely.  Building a new routine, new expectations, new habits, new way of running the house.

I went this last weekend to the wedding of the lady who taught me how to ride, she is and always will be an amazing friend, teacher, and mentor.  All I can say is: IT WAS SO MUCH FUN.  :)  Feels good to say something like that.  The wedding was so perfect, so unique, and so her.  At the reception they had Contra Dancing.  Yeehaw!  I love line and square dancing and I was having too much fun.  At the end, the traditional last dance is a waltz, and when they announced it I felt quite sad since all the couples were pairing back up again (whereas you kind of dance with anybody during the other dances) and I was there alone.  However the father of one of my closest friends (who was also a fellow riding student way back when) asked me to dance and that was so special, and I told him so at the end. 

Sunday we all trekked back to the Bride and Groom's house for an open house/family get-together, and in the course of the day J (the bride) and I ended up in the barn turning horses out and she offered for me to ride Percy, one of her ponies.  Now, this is a special pony, she used to own his mother and she trained and competed his father.  I used to ride his mother (a pony named Chloe - I've mentioned her before) and older sister, Rosie.  Now, last I had known Percy he was only 2 and not old enough yet to ride.  He's now about 7 and is schooling 3rd/4th level dressage.  So I got to get on and play around with all his buttons--man I'm rusty!!! I got to do half-steps/piaffe, medium trots/canters, and canter half-passes to single flying changes (apparently he can do tempi-changes but I was feeling too discombobulated to try that). I had a huge grin on my face by the time I was done.  What a good pony!

So now I'm inspired to get my butt in gear and get Cash going.  J and I talked about his spooking issue and she suggested doing nothing but transitions, transitions, transitions for days... weeks even, to get him obedient and listening because the issue is that he totally tunes me out when he spooks, which is not cool.  So, dear Cash, your next best friend is going to be up-down transitions. Yay!

Now, to see if we get the upwards of 10 inches of snow they have been forecasting about all weekend.

1 comments:

Im very glad you had a night out to enjoy yourself. You are a very strong woman...lucky ride on a nice horse too!

Post a Comment